Friday, August 31, 2012

Track rod ends...

While the other front suspension parts are waiting for a second coat of paint, I started on the track rod ends, lower steering shaft and rack.

I was having a real problem with the off side track rod end – as it was only attached to the tie rod lever, I couldn't get a good grip on it to undone the nut. After 45 minutes of trying everything I decided that if I remove the whole steering rack I could put it in the vice.

So I started by removing the 2 bolts on the lower steering knuckles and the 4 bolts holding the rack to the front subframe. By sliding the rack over to the near side and folding down the lower steering shaft I managed to pull it out through the off side gap.

With the compete rack on the bench I removed the lower steering shaft and the near side track rod end.

The off side rod end which I had been having so much trouble with still wouldn't undone, even trying some heat - it wouldn't move!

Looks like I may need to cut this one off – but first I will soak it over night with old friend WD-40.

3.5 hrs









 




No comments:

Post a Comment