Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Donor stripping...

Two parts I wanted off the donor car - the water pipe from the heater to the water pump/inlet manifold and the water pump.

My water pipe is corroded with small pin holes around where the hoses finished - and the water pump that I had dropped smashing the impeller.

I started by removing the air filter box, fuel line, linkage and draining the water. Unbolted the inlet manifold with carbs in place, then stripped off the water pipe and removed the cover to the pump.

Another 12 vane pump which means I can use my cleaned and painted cover - my water pump just lifted out but this one didn't want to budge.

The workshop manual shows a special tool which screws into the top with a heavy weight and rod to slide and pull it out. So a bit like Blue Peter with some old stud, a weight and metal strips I fashioned my special tool. Worked like a dream.

I cleaned up the water pipe and gave it a coat of Kurust, the water pump is boxed in bubble wrap!

4hrs

1 comment:

  1. I'd be keen to see a photo of the tool if you still have it.


    Great blog by the way, been reading it from the start.

    ReplyDelete