Monday, April 28, 2014

Time for a armrest...

While working inside the car I remember about the armrest – since the restoration started I've been looking out of a replacement one. In fact mine isn't in a bad shape compared to ones I've seen.

The after market ones are awful - a plank with foam and vinyl stapled on.

My donor car was even worst shape, just like a banana. I removed mine and pull it apart and decide to have a go replacing the preformed top with ply, cover with a thin layer of foam and some black seat backing vinyl from the donor.

Started by cutting out the centre part and pinning and gluing straps along each edge for the bottom lip detail. Then using the bandsaw I cut out the rear hinge indent and sanded the front chamfer slope.

After playing with different options with the foam, I decided one layer of 5mm on top (thanks Pete) would give me the right shape and look.

The back plate was cleaned up and given a coated of black satin paint – using spray mount and contact adhesive I carefully wrapped the ply section cutting and folding the corner before holding in place with the backing plate.

I'm pleased with the result - it's one object I always look at viewing other 7s and I can now tick off my list.

3hrs
















No comments:

Post a Comment